Welcome!

Welcome to My New Homestead! I hope you enjoy your stay here. Grab a cup of coffee or tea, sit back and follow my husband and I on our journey to a simpler life.

"Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies." — Prov. 31:10

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Fall is my absolute favourite time of the year. I love everything about it. I love the cooler days and nights, the crunch of the leaves beneath my feet, I love the smell of the air. I can't honestly think of one thing I don't love about the fall.

My favourite thing about this wonderful time of year, though, is the changing leaves. And the best part of that is when they fall. I absolutely adore walking through them, kicking them out of the way as I go. The sound of them rustling against each other is like heavenly music to my ears.

I've been noticing something this year that is really bothering me. I don't know why I never noticed it before. I know it's always been there, but for some reason, this year it jumped up and bit me on the nose.

It all started about two weeks ago, when the leaves really started to fall. I was driving through our little town on the way to the grocery store, admiring all the colours of fall when I noticed a lady in her front yard, raking up the leaves and throwing them into the garbage. I wanted to stop the van and ask her why? Why are you doing this?

God, in all his infinte wisdom and kindness has given us a great gift in the fall. When everything else is dying and withering He gives us a glorious riot of colours in the trees. Then, He allows them to fall from the branches and carpet the ground. It's stunning!

Take some time this year to really look and appreciate the gift God has given us. Don't just automatically reach for the rake. Actually look at the carpet of glorious colours God has given you. And say thank you. Thank you for covering everything that is dead and wilted with this colourful bounty. Enjoy it. Don't just rake it up and throw it away. Appreciate the beauty of it.

We're given a wonderous gift in the fall, aren't we?

No comments: