Welcome!

Welcome to My New Homestead! I hope you enjoy your stay here. Grab a cup of coffee or tea, sit back and follow my husband and I on our journey to a simpler life.

"Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies." — Prov. 31:10

Friday, October 31, 2008

We Have Babies!!

If you were reading this blog when it was over at WordPress, you'll already know the story. For the benefit of those who weren't, I'll give you a rundown.

About 32 days ago, my goat Otis took an intense dislike to our bunny Sadie's cage. He used his horns to tear the chicken wire that keeps her in. I went out one morning and there she was hopping happily around the pen. Right where our un-neutered male was housed. Yikes. Rabbits are incredibly inventive and even though he was caged as well, I was pretty sure that they would have found a way.

And they did.

I've been watching her very closely for the last couple of weeks. Yesterday morning I noticed that she was pulling fur from her chest which is a surefire indicator that babies are on the way. Once they start pulling fur, you're looking at about 3-24 hours until there are babies. So, I kept checking and checking and nothing.

This afternoon I went in to check again and still I couldn't find anything. Just as I was putting her nest back together, I felt something warm inside her blanket. I carefully unwrapped it and sure enough there were two of the tiniest little bunnies. I almost squealed they were so cute!

So, we are now the proud grandparents to two new baby bunnies, one black and white just like Mama and one pure white. They are just so cute!! They are nice and fat and active and as healthy as all get out. Hopefully they stay that way. The mortality rate for bunnies is fairly high which is why the litters are generally large. But it will be as God wills.

I hope He wills they live!

I'll be taking some pictures later this afternoon when my son gets home from school. He's going to be so happy. He was hoping she was pregnant and hoping against hope that there would be a white one. For his sake alone, I hope that one lives!

Anywho, I just thought I'd share my happy news!

No comments: