Welcome!

Welcome to My New Homestead! I hope you enjoy your stay here. Grab a cup of coffee or tea, sit back and follow my husband and I on our journey to a simpler life.

"Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies." — Prov. 31:10

Monday, October 27, 2008

I'm taking the plunge today and putting an ad on Kijiji to start selling eggs. I'm really rather excited about it! It will be the first time I've ever sold something like this. Pray that we will be able to recoup some of the cost of keeping the chickens, please!

This homesteading, simple life, frugal living thing is tough. I know everyone already knows that, right? I just thought it beared repeating. ;) Over the years, we've developed some habits that we need to change. So, what we've decided to do is change one habit at a time. I mean, if we try to tackle them all at once, I think the whole family will implode. ;)

Starting Nov. 1, we are going to work on our frivilous spending in the form of eating out. We tend to stop in at McDonalds to grab something quick more often than we should. It's really just too convenient. But, we just can't afford it anymore.

So, to work to that end, I'm going to be bringing back the weekly dinner menu that we used to use, but during the selling of the house and the move went by the wayside.

Every two weeks, I sit down with the calendar and my meal list and schedule each dinner meal for that pay schedule. Then, using the recipe for each meal, I make my grocery list with only the ingredients used in each meal. Of course we have our basic need grocery list as well.

By using this method we can usually shave at least $50 off our grocery bill if not more.

If anyone needs more information on how to set up a workable dinner list, let me know. I can post a more detailed how to here on this blog.

No comments: