Welcome!

Welcome to My New Homestead! I hope you enjoy your stay here. Grab a cup of coffee or tea, sit back and follow my husband and I on our journey to a simpler life.

"Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies." — Prov. 31:10

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Taking The First Step Towards Frugality In Shopping

We're on our way today to make our first steps towards frugality and simplicity. Unfortunately, that means spending money, which seems a bit backward, doesn't it? ;)

Everyone in our family needs winter coats, snow pants and boots, including my husband and I. Hubby also needs new shoes, I need new jeans (the knees and for lack of a better word, crotch, are almost completely worn through and aren't going to last much longer) and dress pants. The kids both need some mucking around clothes for cleaning out the chicken coop so they aren't wrecking their school clothes. We're looking at close to a thousand dollars just for winters coats and boots! So, we're heading to a second hand store today!

We've never shopped in a second hand store, so this will be something very new for us. We're having a hard time convincing our teenage daughter that it will be ok for her to buy something there. I'm hoping that once she gets there and is able to see the quality of the clothes that she'll start to understand that it's not the end of the world. Being in highschool, appearances are very important to her and she's afraid. She doesn't want to be teased by her friends and those who aren't her friends.

This is a huge step for us! I'm excited and very proud of my husband and I. Normally we would just head to WalMart or the mall to buy these things and spent way too much money. This is a great step in the right direction.

I'll be sure to stop back in and let you all know what we got!

2 comments:

Sandi said...

I've been to second hand stores and have found brand new shirts with tags attached that a young girl would like. You can definitely get lucky and find some great things.

Lesley said...

some second hands stores are amazing for finds...especially if you are in an area with college aged girls...they go through clothes like water...and don't count out any yard sales...seeing in believing...she'll get there....